Cook's Hideout: Miriyala Charu/ Rasam (Pepper Soup)

September 22, 2006

Miriyala Charu/ Rasam (Pepper Soup)

This is my mother-in-law’s recipe and is very effective in clearing up your nose and throat during the “cold” season. Hot pepper with pungent garlic is a great combination for this spicy rasam.

Ingredients:
Peppercorns – 12-15
Garlic cloves – 4-5
Cumin seeds – 1tbsp
Red chilies – 3
Tamarind pulp – 3 tbsp
Curry leaves - 4
Salt –to taste

Method:
  • Grind peppercorns, cumin seeds and garlic cloves into a coarse paste (doesn’t have to be completely smooth).
  • Heat 1 tsp oil in a saucepan, add red chilies and fry till they darken in color. Add the curry leaves and ground pepper paste. Fry on low flame for 2-3 minutes or until it gives out nice garlic smell.
  • Add the tamarind pulp, salt and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover and let stand till ready to serve.

You can refrigerate the unused pepper+garlic masala for days in the refrigerator and use it when needed.

6 comments:

  1. After all the pumpkin recipes, what a change!! Beautiful Rasam, Mouthwatering Pavani!!
    Hey! I havn't seen you in my blog for a long time, I think!! Taking time off??!! Thanks for Rasam!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one of my favourite rasam's Pavani. And its heavenly to have when your are down with a cold or fever. The moment the weather gets a lil cold or its raining I crave for this rasam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like mirayala chaaru alot..good for bad throught and gives lot for cold..thanks for reminding.Thank you pavani

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy rasam for fall weather.
    Pavani,I came to know abt Mother and Sri Aurobindo through a tamil monthly(Mangayar Malar) six years ago and i read about their life,their spirituality.I became a devotee since then.Back home every Sunday we gathered for meditation. Had visited The Ashram in Pondicherry couple of times.In Boston,we have a meditation center.Myself and my husband used to visit and medidate.I really miss that as we moved to Charlotte,NC.
    Happy to know about you.

    I have tagged you.Fill in when you find time.
    http://websamayal.blogspot.com/2006/09/food-experience-bad-pizza-ever-had.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi pavani,that's the first rasam i learnt to make from my mom-in-law after i got married!we make it without the garlic though.great recipe..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pavani,
    Simple and "super" Rasam!!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips