Cook's Hideout: Quinoa Medley with Black Beans and Corn

January 25, 2007

Quinoa Medley with Black Beans and Corn

Yoo-hoo.. My 100th post.. this is really exciting. To be honest, a year ago, I didn’t have a clue that I would have my own blog. I was googling for a recipe and thankfully found Indira’s Mahanandi. I was so hooked onto her pictures and detailed recipe instructions that I used to visit her blog almost every day.

After a little research on blogging, I realized I can have my own blog for free. It took me almost 2 months to actually shake off my nerves and start my blog and after that, as they say, rest is history. My blog is like my little diary where I jot down the hits and misses occurring in my hideout (my kitchen).

I have to thank my husband for the encouragement and also for his willingness to be the Guinea pig (mishaps have occurred in the past year and lessons have been learnt.. so I thank him for his patience and sometimes courage too). My mom is a great contributor to my blog; she has a new recipe up her sleeve every time I talk to her. My MIL is another great resource and support. I have to thank all the friends I made in the past year (blogging might just be the fastest way to make tons of friends from all around the world) for their constant support via messages and email.

To sum it all up, in the past year, I think I have cooked dishes that I have never cooked before; bought and used ingredients that I never thought can be used; got to know so many wonderful people and cooks from all around the world that I have never imagined could happen so fast.

Thank you Haripriya of Sweet and Spice for tagging me to this three things Meme.

Three things I love:
1. My family
2. Kids, innocence
3. Good Healthy Food

Three Things I hate:
1. Back Stabbing
2. Hypocrisy
3. People being inconsiderate towards others

Three People Who make me Laugh:
1. My Husband
2. Paresh Rawal’s comedy
3. Telugu director Jandhyala’s movies

Three things that Scare me:
1. Horror Movies
2. Sudden ringing of the phone in a quite room
3. Cop car behind me in traffic

Three things I don’t understand:
1. Why some people enjoy hurting others (physically and mentally)
2. Reason for traffic jams in New Jersey
3. Software and electronic mumbo jumbo

Three things on my Desk
1. Desktop
2. Camera
3. Post-its with phone numbers, address and my mom’s recipes

Three things I’m doing right now:
1. Thinking about tonight’s dinner
2. Thinking about my annual review next week
3. Typing

Three things I want to do before I die:
1. Travel around the world
2. Help others as much as I can
3. Never do anything that I have to regret about

Three things I can do:
1. Cook
2. Embroider/ Crafts (been a while I’ve done these)
3. Shopping

Three things you should listen to:
1. Your heart
2. Your well wishers
3. Soothing melodious music

Three things you should never listen to:
1. People bad mouthing others
2. People who praise themself
3. Co-worker talking to their ex-spouse or ex-girlfriend/ boyfriend

Three things I would like to learn:
1. To be more assertive
2. More about human evolution and history
3. To make Sushi rolls (veggie of course)

Three Favorite foods:
1. All eggplant/ brinjal dishes
2. All egg dishes
3. Any veggie dish that is delicious and different (from what I cook)

Three beverages I drink a lot:
1. Water
2. Bournvita
3. Pepsi

Three Favorite book/TV show I read/Watched as a Kid:
1. Enid Blyton series
2. Telugu children’s magazines; Chandamama, Balamithra, Bommarillu & Balajyothi
3. Byomkesh Bakshi – Indian Sherlock Holmes on DD.

Three people I'd like to Tag:
1. Sangeeta of Ghar ka Khana
2. Roopa of Kitchen Aromas
3. Nav of Memories and Meals

Quinoa Medley with Black Beans and Corn

As a part of my eating healthy resolution, I have started cooking more with whole grains (brown basmati rice, whole-wheat pasta etc). I learnt about Quinoa from one of my cookbooks and I bought some a while ago. When I saw this recipe in the recent edition of ‘Vegetarian Times’, I just had to try it. The recipe is super simple to make and it takes fewer than 30 minutes to make which is perfect for a quick weekday dinner.

Here is some useful information about Quinoa. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a “grain” native to Central America and was once called “gold of the Incas”, as the Incas recognized its value in increasing the stamina of their warriors. Quinoa is high in protein and the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis.


Ingredients:
Quinoa – 1 ¼ cups, rinsed
Black beans – 1 5 oz. can, rinsed and drained
Frozen corn – 1 cup
Chunky Salsa (home made or store bought) – ½ cup, divided
Chili powder – 1tsp
Cilantro - 1/4 cup chopped
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Salt and Pepper – to taste

Method:
  • Bring 2cups of water to boil in a saucepan. Stir in quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Add beans, corn and 1/4 cup salsa and chili powder; season with salt and pepper.Return to a boil. Cover and cook 2 to 5 minutes more, or until quinoa is tender.
  • Stir in cilantro, oil and remaining salsa. Serve.
This is our dinner for today with stuffed zucchini.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Pavani,
    Congrats!!!!! Happy blogging:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!!!!

    Lovely post Pavani!!! :)Enjoyed reading the meme :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Pavani!I love the picture.Dish looks delicious,never tried Quinoa.
    A MeMe well done,great to read more about you!:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pavani Congrats !!!!
    Loved reading the meme and thanks for this dish, havent't heard of Quinoa so got educated too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 100th post.
    Enjoyed the meme...and Quinoa too. Quite new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pavani,
    Iam visitng your blog for the first time! and lo! I see that you are in your 100th post!! Congratulations!! Wish you best of luck to succeed further and blog more & more recipes! I was googling for coconut sweet and found your hideout along with rest of the blogs. I must say that your photography skills are very impressive and you have shown simple methods of preparation of all the items.
    I never heard of Quinoa.Thanks for sharing something new. I liked the last pic! Can you also please tell me if this is available in american grocery stores?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post, lovely MEME and beautiful Pictures....Congrats on your 100th post.

    Happy Republic Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Pavani.

    Thanks so much for informing me about the lifting of my images and content. Its unfortunate. I have left a message asking them to remove the content/images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I really like your "three things" post and the absolutely heavenly picture above it. Makes very interesting read. I did it for myself and it was so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!!am soooo happy tht i tagged u on ur 100th post....Nice Meme...ur New year resolutuion is inspiring...:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pavni,
    Congratulations dear of your 100th post and may you go on and on like this for ever. and I loved your presentation as well.
    Good going gal!!! Keep it up.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pavani,

    Congratulations on your 100th post :) Love Quinoa ( use it like Couscous) and am definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks for tagging me for the 3 things Meme - http://ghar-ka-khana.blogspot.com/2007/01/tagged-you-are-it.html
    Take care. Cheers !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips