Cook's Hideout: Festive Cranberry Dal

December 14, 2007

Festive Cranberry Dal

My cousin S gave me the recipe for this dal. Cranberries are everywhere this time of the year and this dal is a good way of using some of them.

Ingredients:
Toor dal or Masoor dal - 1 cup
Cranberries - 1/2 cup, rinsed and chopped in half
Green chilies - 5-6, chopped

For tadka:
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilies - 2
Hing - pinch
Curry leaves - 6

Method:
  • Pressure cook dal and cranberries separately for 2-3 whistles. I add a pinch of turmeric and salt to the cranberries.
  • Heat 1tsp sesame oil on medium flame, add the tadka ingredients and once the seeds start spluttering add the cooked dal and cranberries. Season with salt and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with rice or even roti.

2 comments:

  1. I bet the tartness of the cranberries make this really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o yes, I make this quite often. Replaces chintachiguru or mango pappu sorts. I buy during fall and freeze for use later :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips