Cook's Hideout: Recipes for my Cinco de Mayo feast

June 09, 2009

Recipes for my Cinco de Mayo feast

This post has been due for quite sometime, I posted my pics for Cinco de Mayo feast on Cinco de Mayo day (1st of May). So better late than never, here are the recipes.

Rice & Beans:
Basmati rice – 1cup, rinsed and soaked for at least 15 minutes
Black beans – 1 cup, cooked
Chickpeas – 1 cup, cooked
Zucchini – 2 medium, chopped
Carrot – 1 medium, chopped
Onion – 1 large, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
Tomato puree – 1 cup (I used canned crushed tomatoes with basil)
Cumin powder – 1tbsp
Chili powder – 2tsp (or to taste)
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp (optional)
Green onions – 2, for garnish

Method:
  • Cook basmati rice and keep aside to cool.
  • In a large skillet, heat 2tbsp oil on medium-low flame. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
  • Add zucchini & carrots; cover and cook till the veggies are ¾th cooked.
  • Add the beans; cover and cook till the veggies and beans are completely cooked through. Add tomato puree, cumin powder, chili powder & salt. Simmer for 6-8 minutes.
  • Add the cooked rice, mix well making sure that the rice does not get mushy. Add lemon juice (if using) and mix well. Garnish with green onions; serve with guacamole, salsa (or guaca-salsa) and sour cream.
For Guaca-Salsa you need:
Avocado – 1 small, pitted and flesh roughly chopped
Tomato – 1 small, deseeded and roughly chopped
Red onion – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Jalapeno – 1 small, deseeded and finely chopped
Garlic – 1 clove, finely minced (use garlic press, if you have one)
Lime juice – 1tbsp (or to taste)
Salt & pepper – to taste

  • Mix all the ingredients in bowl and mash with the back of a spoon or a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings.
I made these quesadillas with Trader Joes Corn-Chile Tomato-less Salsa and grated sharp & milk cheddar cheese. All I had to do is layer them on corn tortillas and they were just perfect, sweet & tangy from the salsa and oozing cheese. Yumm.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Oh my both look divine! Loved the look of rice n salsa. Wish I could have some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow now thats a feast..looks delicious..and lovely clicks my dear

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree better late than never, we would have missed this fest for our eye and stomach.
    Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow aromatic flavours....love those quesadillas......rice looks delectable.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, better late than never :) I have a very similar plate in my drafts, with corn salad instead of guac. I had made it for IAVW Mexican, but I used regular cheese in my quesadilla's and it did not strike me till I was editing the pics :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your version of rice and beans. The recipes I usually see do not have so many veggies, and I love that you have both chickpeas and black beans in the recipe. Sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your version of rice, it looks so very delicious and so very healthful too, looking forward to trying it !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Mexican feast! Everything looks so delicious, I would love to celebrate with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. gr8 treat for the eyes ! yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this mexican meal,guaca salsa is something I'd love to try very soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips