Cook's Hideout: Thotakura Pappu (Amaranth leaves dal)

January 17, 2012

Thotakura Pappu (Amaranth leaves dal)

This recipe is from September of last year. I made this dish with thotakura/ amaranth greens that I harvested from my little container garden, took pictures and after a very emotional and whirlwind India trip completely forgot about it. I thought I’ll clear my drafts before moving ahead with the New Year. 

I planted thotakura seeds in my container garden last summer (it seems so long ago) and got decent harvest. 


Ingredients:
Toor dal (Red gram dal) – 1 cup
Thotakura (Amaranth leaves) – 2-3 cups, finely chopped
Onion – 1 small, chopped
Tomatoes - 2, chopped
Green chilies – 3, slit
Garlic – 2 pods, minced
Tamarind paste – 1tbsp
Salt – to taste

For tempering:
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Red chili – 1, broken
Curry leaves – 8

Method:
  • Cook the lentils until very soft and mushy. 
  • In a medium saucepan, heat 2tsp oil and add all the tempering ingredients. Once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and green chilies. Cook until onion starts to turn translucent. 
  • Add the chopped greens, cover and cook until they wilt and cooked through.
  • Add tomatoes, tamarind paste and salt, cook for another 5 minutes or until tomatoes turn mushy. 
  • Stir in cooked lentils and ½ - 1 cup of water (depending on the desired consistency) and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
  • Serve with steamed rice and a curry for a complete meal.
 


I’m sending this dal over to MLLA-43rd Edition being guest hosted by Claire @ Chez Cayenne.
Signature

9 comments:

  1. My all time favorite dal combo...looks drool worthy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too make one similar to this. will try ur version :)nice click !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super comforting dal,loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dal too ....looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummm love to have this with hot steamed rice and avakai ummm.. beautiful click...Pavani

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummm love to have this with hot steamed rice and avakai ummm.. beautiful click...Pavani

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the click .. and the dish looks inviting. The only green I get is spinach :) ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats so nice, u grow ur own greens? must have been so fresh & tasty :) dal looks wholesome & healthy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips