Cook's Hideout: Strawberry Shrikhand

June 05, 2013

Strawberry Shrikhand

Blogging Marathon# 29: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Cooking with Colors
Dish: Strawberry Shrikhand -- Red
For the final day of this week's BM, I made a delicious and colorful Shrikhand with Strawberries. Shrikhand  is nothing but sweetened strained yogurt that is usually made in Maharashtra and Gujarat. At one point in my life, I would have said a "BIG NO" to Shrikhand because I considered yogurt savory and it was sacrilege to add sugar to yogurt. Now that I'm older and wiser I know how tasty this combination could be.
Strawberry Shrikhand
To add some color and sweetness to plain shrikhand, I added some strawberry pulp to yogurt and then to make it even more fancy, I layered yogurt with strawberry puree. This combination was so amazing -- both in the looks department and also in the taste department.

Strawberry Shrikhand
Recipe adapted from Ashwini's recipe.
Strawberry Shrikhand
Ingredients:
For Strawberry Shrikhand:
Yogurt - 1½cups (I used 2% Greek Yogurt)
Sugar - ¼cup (or adjust as per taste)
Honey - 2tbsp
Strawberry Pulp - 6tbsp (Blend ½cup of fresh/ frozen strawberries)
Ground Cardamom (Elaichi) - ¼tsp
Pistachios - 2tbsp, lightly toasted for garnish

For Strawberry Puree:
Strawberries - 1cup
Balsamic Vinegar - 2tsp
Sugar - 3tbsp (or adjust as per taste)
Strawberry Shrikhand
Method:

  • Prepare the Yogurt: Place the yogurt in a cheese cloth lined sieve on a bowl to catch the liquid. Set this aside for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
  • To make Shrikhand: Whisk all the ingredients in a medium size bowl and refrigerate at least for 2 hours before serving.
  • For Strawberry Puree: Combine all the ingredients listed in a small sauce pan and cook on medium flame until the strawberries are mushy and the sugar is dissolved. Cool completely and store in a clean airtight container, use as needed on pancakes, ice creams etc.
  • To Serve: Strawberry shrikhand is delicious as is, but tastes great when topped or layered with the strawberry puree. Garnish with toasted pistachios on top and Enjoy!!
Strawberry Shrikhand

Strawberry Shrikhand
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 29.
Signature

17 comments:

  1. Wow this looks excellent Pavani..love how this is made..:)..and your cups are so cute as well..I guess we can blend any fruit puree to make delicious quick desserts right..

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow looks like a perfect western dessert..well I have still not been able to accept curd and sugar:((..but I know it is a wonderful dessert which most ..ok almost all like:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love shrikhand in all forms. :)
    Could you set that in layers? I tried with mango version and it was all messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shrikhand with strawberries,can have it anytime,such an elegant and droolworth dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those service bowls and the glass. fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow very tempting n inviting shrikhand

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, love that wonderful combination of colors n flavors!!! But i can make it only for me, coz anything pink is Condemned here @ my place Boy's Rules!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so delicious and beautiful color,I like that glass one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a kid even I never liked shrikhand.. Your dish looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting version of shrikhand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yumm!! I am so excited to see all these colorful Shrikands today :) My kids would love the addition of strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. silky smooth and super delicious... love this.. and my daughter would the addition of strawberry!!
    Sowmya
    Event - Authentic Indian Sweets w giveaway
    Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy shrikhand ! My daughter will love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! its yummy,Just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely clicks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this looks excellent. My son will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that layered one looks so delicious. so funny how Americans consider yogurt sweet...as any flavored ones are generally always sweetened

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips