Cook's Hideout: Dahi Bhindi (Okra in Yogurt Sauce)

July 04, 2013

Dahi Bhindi (Okra in Yogurt Sauce)

Blogging Marathon# 30: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Cooking with Curd
Dish: Dahi Bhindi
For some reason the first dish that came to mind when I was thinking of dishes for 'Cooking with Curd' is this Dahi Bhindi. I don't remember tasting this dish, so I went with my instinct and made it based on what I think dahi bhindi should taste like. I liked the final dish, it was simple and quite tasty.
Dahi Bhindi (Okra in Yogurt Sauce)
I didn't have fresh okra (ladies finger), so I used frozen baby okra. I sauteed them in little oil along with some vinegar to remove the sliminess and then added them to the yogurt sauce. Frozen okra is very convenient to use but can be a little tricky to cook with. If not handled properly entire dish can turn slimy and inedible. I do not thaw frozen okra and add them directly into the hot pan, this way the water starts to evaporate as soon as it hits the pan. Also I don't stir it too often.
I didn't add too many spices and kept in simple, so that I can enjoy the taste of the yogurt and okra. I added some besan/ chickpea flour to yogurt, so that it doesn't curdle when added to the okra mixture. 
Dahi Bhindi (Okra in Yogurt Sauce)
Ingredients:
Baby Okra - 8-10 (I used frozen baby okra without thawing)
White distilled vinegar - 2tsp
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
Yogurt - 1cup
Besan/ Chickpea flour - 2tbsp
Red chili powder - ½tsp
Garam Masala - ½tsp 
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry Red chili - 2
Salt - to taste
Dahi Bhindi (Okra in Yogurt Sauce)
Method:
  • Heat 2tsp oil to a saute pan, add the frozen baby okra and cook on medium flame until okra is thawed and starts to get brown in spots, about 6-7 minutes. Add the vinegar and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside until ready to use.
  • Clean the pan with a paper towel and return to heat. Add 1tbsp oil and once the oil is hot enough, add mustard and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add dry red chilies and chopped onions. Cook until onions start to brown around the edges, takes about 4-5 minutes.
  • Next add chopped tomatoes and cook until they are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
  • Add red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
  • In a small bowl, whisk yogurt until smooth. Sprinkle besan and whisk until there are no lumps.
  • Add the yogurt-besan mixture to the pan and bring to a bowl. Lower the heat and simmer until the gravy starts to thicken, about 2-3 minutes. 
  • Serve hot with rice or roti.
I served with some crusty French bread and tomato chutney for a filling meal.
Dahi Bhindi (Okra in Yogurt Sauce)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 30.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. This looks very nice Pavani. The combination of okra and curd must have been wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all flavors and spices it must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gravy with the okra looks great, though I can't imagine the bread with it...wouldn't mind with some steaming rice..:)..Nice composition Pavani..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dahi bhindi looks extremely delicious,thick and creamy..inviting me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tasted this. Bit by the looks of it must be yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum Yum Pavani! Something different with okra..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this one. one of my favorite veggies and with the tomatoes curry came out great color

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips