Cook's Hideout: Sorakaya Thelagapindi Kura (Bottlegourd Curry)

January 11, 2014

Sorakaya Thelagapindi Kura (Bottlegourd Curry)

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. We are on our way to my cousin's place in Delaware for the weekend, so this is going to be a short post today.
Sorakaya Thelagapindi Kura (Bottlegourd Curry)
I had a small piece of sorakaya (bottle gourd) in the fridge that needed to be used up before we left for the weekend and I also had thelaga pindi (powder made from sesame pulp after squeezing the oil) in the fridge. Luckily I remembered watching a cooking show where the chef  used both the ingredients in a curry and so that's what I made. Thelaga pindi can be used just like sesame seed powder to sprinkle on curries.
Sorakaya Thelagapindi Kura (Bottlegourd Curry)
Ingredients:
Sorakaya/ bottle gourd - 3cups, peeled and diced
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
Green chilies - 2, slit
Ground coriander - ½tsp
Turmeric - ½tsp
Red chili powder - ½tsp (adjust as per taste)
Thelaga pindi - 2tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 1
Curry leaves - 8~10
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan; add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter add dry red chili and curry leaves.
  • Next add bottlegourd, green chilies and turmeric. Mix well, cover and cook until tender, about 8~10 minutes.
  • Add ground coriander, red chili powder, salt and thelaga pindi. Mix well and cook for another 3~4 minutes.
  • Serve with steamed rice or even rotis.
Sorakaya Thelagapindi Kura (Bottlegourd Curry)



Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge' -- January - Week 2.










Signature

8 comments:

  1. Loving the flavors! Looks delish too, Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the flavors! Looks delish too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great combo of flavors - hope you had a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. really tasty looking and andhra style recipe... Loved it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds new to me,curry looks so delicious and tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I must ask my Mom on this pindi pavani, this is not part of the Rayalaseema cuisine, so never actually done it myself..though we do use lot of sesame seeds in our curries...Mom watches these cookery shows and I get my inspiration from her recollecting those, must ask her again....lovely looking bowl..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious.Now I know how to get the bottlegourd in my kids without complaints. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips