Cook's Hideout: Soft Wholewheat Bread

May 04, 2014

Soft Wholewheat Bread

Blogging Marathon# 40: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Yeast Breads
Dish: Wholewheat Bread
Making homemade bread is quite satisfying. I'm not a pro at bread baking and I always follow the recipes to the T. Baking is a science and I don't think I have the expertise to make up my own bread recipes yet. I go-to site for everything related to baking is King Arthur flour site. The only changes I usually make is to add wholewheat flour for a part of white flour other than I don't take too many chances in baking.
Soft Wholewheat Bread
Wholewheat bread is a challenge to make. I've tried quite a few recipes and most of them turn out 'almost cardboard-like'. I added molasses in one recipe and the bread turned out a strange brown color with a strong molasses flavor -- I didn't get the seal of approval from the family members. So in my quest for whole wheat bread, I tried this recipe from King Arthur Flour.

Recipe adapted from here:
Ingredients:
Wholewheat flour - 3¾cups
Instant Mashed Potato flakes - ¾cup (I used ½cup of potato flour instead)
Nonfat Dry Milk - ¼cup
Instant Yeast - 2½tsp
Lukewarm water - ½cup (use 2tbsp less in summer or humid environment and 2tbsp more in winter or dry climate)
Lukewarm Milk - ½cup
Orange Juice - ½cup (straight out of the fridge)
Melted Butter - 5tbsp
Sugar - 3tbsp

Method:
  • Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix and knead to form a cohesive dough. If using a stand mixer, knead on low speed for about 7 minutes. Dough will feel a bit rough and not as smooth as dough made with all-purpose flour.
  • Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and set aside for 60~90 minutes or until its expanded and looks somewhat puffy.
  • Loghtly grease a 9"x5" loaf pan. Gently shape the dough into a smooth log and settle it into the pan, smooth side up.
  • Cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap or a shower cap, and allow the loaf to rise till its crowned over the rim of the pan by ¾", about 75 minutes. Don't let it rise too much as it will continue to rise as it bakes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
  • Bake the bread for 10 minutes, then lightly tent it with aluminum foil, and bake for another 30~35 minutes, or until the center registers 190°F on an instant read thermometer.
  • Remove the pan from the oven and turn it out on to a wire rack to cook. Run a stick of butter over the top of the bread, if desired, for a softer crust.
  • Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 40.
Linking this to this week's Fabulous Feast Friday# 13 being hosted by Sandhya & Mir.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic soft bread, they came out simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with the whole wheat. It is harder to make whole wheat than all purpose flour. I love the King Arthur site too especially their online chat help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani, for all the thing you say you no pro, your pictures say otherwise!..I am so J with all the breads you are posting..:)..I so want to try these wheat flour breads...bookmarked!..I know where to get my online chat help..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Pavani. Bread looks irresistible. It has come out so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious bread.. They look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome bread. You are motivating me to bake breads at home, Pavani. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!!!!I am so tempted to make this bread now

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks incredibly soft - definitely to try

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks pretty good.
    Before this marathon, I too had never baked a sandwich loaf from scratch and had always used my bread machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bread looks perfect and soft

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips