Cook's Hideout: Bellam Payasam (Dairy-free Rice Pudding with Jaggery)

August 12, 2014

Bellam Payasam (Dairy-free Rice Pudding with Jaggery)

Blogging Marathon# 43: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Navarathri -- Festival Special
Dish: Bellam Payasam (Dairy-free Rice Pudding with Jaggery) 
For the second day of Festival special, I have a dairy-free rice pudding recipe made with jaggery. Bellam payasam was one of the dishes that is made during navathri. I wasn't sure how this was different from bellam paravannam. As I was discussing this with my mom, she remembered a similar sweet preparation that was made by one of my neighbors, it was made with just jaggery and rice -- no milk is added. Since my husband is milk-phobic, my mom decided to make this dish for him.
Bellam Payasam (Dairy-free Rice Pudding with Jaggery)

The final dish was quite tasty and it was creamy from the soft cooked rice. It tasted almost similar to the paravannam and I don't think I missed the milk in it.

Ingredients:
Rice - ½cup
Jaggery - ½cup, chopped (adjust as per taste)
Ground Cardamom - ½tsp
Cashews - 1tbsp, chopped
Raisins - 1tbsp

Method:
  • Cook rice with enough water until very soft.
  • Heat 1tbsp ghee** in a small pan, add the cashews and raisins. Fry until cashews are golden and raisins are plump. Remove into a small bowl and set aside.
  • Melt jaggery with few tablespoons of water and cook until a thick syrup forms. Add the cooked rice and mix well and cook for 4~5 minutes. Add some water if the mixture looks too dry.
  • Add the ground cardamom and the fried dry fruit. Mix well and turn off the heat.
** Skip the ghee and use vegetable oil to make this dish completely dairy free and vegan.
Bellam Payasam (Dairy-free Rice Pudding with Jaggery)
Let's check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 43.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. This bellam payasam is inviting me..Beautiful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy and delicious payasam with jaggery sounds more healthy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Love the flowers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I was expecting the consistency to be liquid..:)..sometimes we too don't add milk to the pudding..good one..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a new recipe to me...looks like a quick dish to put together with leftover cooked rice too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one. We too make this version but don't recall calling it payasam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never tasted this before. It looks yummy! Love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one. Somehow my mom never makes this without milk and so I don't make this no milk version either :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My all time fav.. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips