Cook's Hideout: Lebanon -- Mujadara (Rice & Lentils dish)

September 13, 2014

Lebanon -- Mujadara (Rice & Lentils dish)

BM# 44: A-Z Cooking Series -- Around the World in 30 days
Country: L for Lebanon
Dish: Mujadara (Rice & Lentils dish)
We are going to Lebanon, a country that is located in Western Asia. I think my first experience with Lebanese cuisine was at the local Mediterranean restaurant near my office. It was run by a super active mother-daughter team. They would memorize the orders in their heads and never wrote them down -- no matter how big the order was. They used to have the usual Mediterranean dishes like hummus, baba ghanoush, pita etc., but what I really wanted to order was their Lebanese Moussaka which they said was vegetarian. But unfortunately I never did and now that I'm not working there, I wish I had ordered that dish.
Lebanon -- Mujadara (Rice & Lentils dish)
Well today, I didn't make the moussaka, but I made another really filling and comforting Rice & Lentil dish called Mujadara. Mujadara is a humble and comforting dish made with pantry staples, rice and lentils. There is nothing fancy about it, but it is a very flavorful dish with the grown cumin and the crispy fried onions on top. It is also quick dish to make and is usually served with a dollop of yogurt.
Lebanon -- Mujadara (Rice & Lentils dish)
Ingredients:
Brown or Green lentils - 1/2cup (I used whole masoor or brown lentils)
Rice - 1/2 cup (I use Jasmine rice, but any long grain rice should work)
Onions - 1 large, thinly sliced
Garlic - 2 cloves
Cumin seeds - 1/2tsp
Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Ground Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak rice for 15~20 minutes. 
  • Cook the lentils until almost cooked through, they should hold their shape and should not be mushy at all. I pressure cooked the lentils for 3 whistles, but you can boil them in a pot with 2cups of water. 
  • Once the lentils are par cooked, heat 3tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan, add the cumin seeds and cracked pepper and cook for 30 seconds; add the sliced onions and cook on medium flame, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized and are deep brown in color. 
  • Remove half of the onions into a bowl and set aside for garnish later. 
  • To the remaining onions in the pot, add the drained rice along with ground cumin, cayenne and salt. Mix well and cook for 2~3 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and 2~3 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and cook covered until the rice is cooked through. 
  • I pressure cooked everything for 2 whistles. 
  • Serve the dish with the caramelized onions on top.
Lebanon -- Mujadara (Rice & Lentils dish)

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Your pictures are so good you can make a brown colored dish stand out. Whole lentil are so flavorful. I have some green ones. Will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all Lebanon today! Nice flavorful rice & lentils dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani I read about Mujadra and was tempted to try it..the flavours in it are so nice and we love rice dishes.i am bookmarking this and will surely try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the lebanese style rice and lentils looks so tempting !! mujadara is sure filled with lots of flavors , wonderful Bg dear and very well captured !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mujadara looks simply healthy, hearty and wholesome..A complete meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. indeed like you said...simple and flavorful instead of fancy...looks very comforting..nice choice...btw..cant you visit the place again since you are longing..or is it far off

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one. I bookmarked his for another country. Lets see if I get to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very comforting one pot meal , looks simple yet flavorful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple and flavorful dish. It can be a great lunch box item too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this on my list as well..opted for another one in the last min..very lovely pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  11. the carmelized onlons must make this so flavorful - just like koshari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this looks and sounds and I am sure tasted yum. Love it,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips