Cook's Hideout: Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling)

October 05, 2014

Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling)

Blogging Marathon# 45: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Diwal Festival Specials
Dish: Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling) 
For today's Diwali special, I have a recipe that I bookmarked ages ago from Harini's blog. These carrot polis have tempted me the minute I saw them, but it took me more than 2 years to make them. But it's better late than never -- right??
Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling)
My husband is a big carrot halwa fan. My MIL makes the most delicious carrot halwa with fresh khoya and the red gajar that is available during winter in India. I'm just too lazy to take up projects like carrot halwa because a) the expectations are way too high and I don't want to disappoint the eaters b) too lazy to grate the carrot. My sister used to grate the carrots for my mom back home, so that is one job I don't really enjoy doing.

Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling)

Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling)
These carrot halwa stuffed polis are very colorful and festive -- perfect for a festival especially for Diwali. I added some saffron to both the filling and the dough to give flavor and beautiful orange color. Leftovers can be wrapped tightly in foil and refrigerated. When ready to eat, simply microwave and eat with a generous smear of ghee.
Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling)
Ingredients: Makes 8 Polis/ Bobbatlu
For the Dough:
All purpose flour - ¾cup
Atta/ Whole wheat flour - ½cup
Salt - a pinch
Ghee - 1tbsp

For the Carrot Halwa filling:
Carrot - 2 medium, finely grated
Sugar - ½cup (adjust as per taste preference)
Ghee - 2tbsp
Milk - ½cup+3tbsp
Condensed milk - 2tbsp (optional)
Ground Cardamom - ¼tsp
Saffron - a pinch

Method:

  • In a small bowl, combine saffron strands and 3tbsp warm milk. Set aside for couple of minutes.
  • Make Dough: Combine all the ingredients for dough in a mixing bowl and add 1tbsp saffron milk. Rub the saffron milk into the flour. Add just enough water and knead into a soft pliable dough. Knead for a few minutes to get a nice glossy dough that doesn't stick to the fingers. Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
  • Make Carrot Halwa: Heat 2tbsp ghee in a pan, add the grated carrot and cook on medium flame, stirring frequently, until the carrot doesn't smell raw anymore, about 5~6 minutes.
  • Next add the remaining 2tbsp saffron milk and the ½cup of milk. Bring to a simmer then lower the heat and cook covered till carrot is tender, this takes about 12~15 minutes.
  • Add sugar and condensed milk. Cook till the mixture starts to thicken, about 15~18 minutes. Add the ground cardamom, mix well and cook till the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and cool completely.
  • Make Bobbatlu/ Polis: Divide the dough and filling into 8 equal pieces. Spread the dough into a 3" disc and place the filling in the center. Pull the dough over the filling to encase it completely. Roll into a ball and flatten into a disc in the palm. Then place it on a lightly greased aluminum foil or plastic wrap and spread it out into a 5~6" round circle. Make sure that the polis are uniform in thickness.
  • Heat a griddle/ tawa on medium heat, cook the polis until light brown spots form on both sides, this takes about 2 minutes per side. Keep the polis warm while repeating the process for the rest of the dough & filling. Serve warm with extra ghee!!
Carrot Poli (Bobbatlu/ Puran Poli with Carrot Halwa Filling)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 45.
Linking this to 'Favorite Recipe Event -- Diwali Specials', being hosted by Mayuri. Swathi is the brain behind this lovely event.
Signature

15 comments:

  1. Great idea... carrot poli sounds very creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy.. great pics..My favorite too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this fabulous poli, i do the same way whenever there is some leftover carrot halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very interesting recipe..i am sure the polis would have turned out awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely innovation... looks yummy and colourful. I am hosting a diwali event on my blog, please do link your diwali recipes. Thank you.
    http://mayurisjikoni.blogspot.com/2014/10/event.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pavani thank you for linking this innovative recipe to the diwali event on my blog. Please don't forget to mention the event announcement page and Swathi's announcement page links on the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are yummy. I too make these when I have left over halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting recipe, yummy polis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Pavani for showcasing this recipe from my space! I love these polis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely recipe. I love carrot halwaa too much .so I doubt if I can save some to try this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice polis..love the halwa colour..and your entire set up looks so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too hv bookmarked harinis recipe.. too bad there are no takers fr sweet dishes right now at my place..

    pics r tempting :-))

    ReplyDelete
  13. that halva filling must make this taste so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow....this is such a great idea. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks very delicious...i have bookmarked it too:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips