Cook's Hideout: Greek Lentil Salad

July 24, 2015

Greek Lentil Salad

Blogging Marathon# 54: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Lentils -- 3 Ways
Dish: Greek Lentil Salad
My theme for this week's blogging marathon is 'Lentils -- 3 ways'. Valli wants us to use 3 different lentils in 3 different ways, so for the next 3 days I have some interesting dishes using lentils.
I love dals and I am always looking for ways to incorporate them into my daily diet. Lentils are one of the most important sources of protein for vegetarians and I stock up on quite a few varieties in my pantry.
French Lentil Salad
For the first day, I made a Greek Lentil salad using Puy or French Lentils. These tiny lentils cook up in about 25~30 minutes and do not need to be pre-soaked. So it is really quick and easy to make this salad. Recipe is from Vegetarian Times magazine.

This salad is mild tasting, but you can easily spice or jazz it up by adding more lemon juice, more herbs and may be some olives. I liked it just as is because it is light and refreshing, but filling at the same time. It is great to pack for lunch or a picnic.

Ingredients: Serves 4
French Puy Lentils - 1cup
Onion - 1 small, quartered
Bay leaves - 2
Shallot - 1 large, finely chopped
Lemon juice - 2~3tbsp (adjust as per taste)
Cucumber - 1 small, diced
Cherry Tomatoes - 8~10, halved
Fresh Mint - 3tbsp, finely chopped
Olive Oil - 1tbsp
Feta Cheese - as needed (optional)
Salt & Pepper - as needed

Method:
  • Place lentils, onion, bay leaves and 6 cups of water in a large sauce pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25~30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain, remove onion and bay leaves, and cool.
  • In a large bowl, stir together shallot and lemon juice. Add lentils, cucumber, tomatoes, mint and oil; stir to combine. Season with salt & pepper. Chill for 1 hour. Serve topped with feta.
 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 54.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Healthy salad! Looks great! Must have tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super yum salad with healthy ingredients...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salad sounds interesting, with new lentil, which is unheard of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh they are super healthy and delicious,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice healthy salad! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious looking salad . Wonderful clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like lentil based salads, this one looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting use of lentils here pavani...very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. French lentils are so flavorful! I love this combination of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips