Cook's Hideout: Wholewheat Banana Bread (made with Honey)

December 11, 2015

Wholewheat Banana Bread (made with Honey)

Bake-a-thon 2015: Day 5
Bake of the Day: Wholewheat Banana Bread
I sometimes feel that overripe bananas are a bane of my existence. They haunt me with their lingering smell and I can't eat or throw them away. The family abandons them the minute they turn slightly blotchy outside even though they are perfect inside. I have learnt to show them only peeled ones so they don't judge it by the package.
Banana Bread with Honey
Even with all this I end up with 3~4 overripe bananas by the end of the week. I have so many versions of banana breads/ muffins that making another one doesn't excite me that much. But this recipe from Cookie+Kate is made with wholewheat (pastry) flour and is sweetened with honey (or maple syrup) got me off my behind and into the kitchen to bake.
Love these quick breads that require just one bowl and some elbow grease. This bread is very moist and has a beautiful crumb. It is great to have for breakfast or as any-time snack.
Banana Bread with Honey
Recipe from Cookie and Kate:
Wholewheat Banana Bread
Ingredients:
  • 1¾cups Wholewheat Pastry flour or regular wholewheat flour
  • 1tsp Baking Soda
  • ½tsp Salt
  • ⅓cup Olive oil or melted coconut oil
  • ½cup Honey or Maple Syrup
  • 1cup Bananas, mashed (about 2~3 medium sized bananas)
  • 1tsp Vanilla extract
  • 2 Large Eggs (I used 2tbsp egg replacer whisked with 6tbsp water)
  • ½cup Chopped Nuts (I added almonds and raisins)
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
  2. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, beat oil and honey (or maple syrup) together. Add the eggs (or egg replacer mixture) and beat well.
  4. Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla, then stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
  5. Bake for 50 minutes to an 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled before slicing.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2015 


 


Signature

13 comments:

  1. I do exactly the same...peeling bananas before the husband and kiddo see it. This banana bread looks amazing! Will add it to my next banana bread session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prefectly sliced awesome bread, i dont mind to have it with my cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread slices look so perfect! Lovely bake Pavani...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks amazingly sliced :) I have posted a similar one today, just the yeasted version :-)) I think the black outer peel of the banana is a common refrain in all households :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is what happens to bananas in our house too. If slightly dark on the banana skin, no one is going to touch it, even if the banana is perfect inside. So I end up baking with them. I always feel adding honey makes the bread or cake more moist and I love adding them to the bakes. This banana bread seems to be so moist, delicious & healthy! But I am not clear on how much olive oil/coconut oil is to be added. Can you please let me know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1/3 cup of oil for this recipe. Not sure why that doesn't show up -- I can see it on my desktop but not my laptop :-( Hope you like this bread.

      Delete
  6. Perfectly baked bread, wish to have a slice..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pavani ,
    The bread is looking beautiful . I would like to make it . Could you please let me know the size of your cup . I mean how many ml in 1 cup ?

    - Thanks ,
    Veena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wholewheat banana bead looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same I don't like when bananas get mushy - this wholesome version of banana bread is another great way to utilize them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious pavani, we love banana breads, another version to try now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Banana bread is a nice way to use up overripe bananas. Bread looks delicious though I am not a big fan of bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pavani, its unfair with the number of recipes you are making me bookmark!..the texture and look of this bread looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips